Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Gear Box and Static Thrust RPM

I spoke with Leon Massa, owner of Compact Radial Engines, the Canadian Manufacturer of the MZ 202, (he is actually from Australia or NZ) today about the gear box on my engine.  My 62 inch prop is too short for my current gear box and turning too slow and not getting adequate thrust needed for taking off and climbing.

I am going to ship it to him and get it changed from a 3.11:1 ratio to 2.55:1.  He states that I should set the Pitch for 6120 RPMs static once I get the box back for optimum thrust.  It will likely be somewhere in the 9 to 10 degree range very similar to fellow Peach State Rotor Craft Air Command builder and pilot Gary Weaver's Rotax 582 with the same prop as mine, but, with what I believe is a 2.58:1 gear box.

Based on previous MZ 202 owners with the same set up,  that will get me above 310 lbs of thrust and more is possible with a longer prop. There are folks with the 3.11 box using 70" plus props on other applications getting over 375 lbs thrust with the MZ 202.  It has plenty of torque to get the job done and the gear box is apparently rock sold being used on Subaru EJ 22 and 25s with over 160 HP using adapter plates as well as big BMW conversions in Europe.

Here is a cut-away photo of the gear box from the factories website below:

Here are a couple of links to the gear box the second one shows the parts and a nice diagram of how it is set up:
http://www.compactradialengines.com/mzRZ.html (link is external)
http://www.compactradialengines.com/mzRZspecs.html (link is external)




I think that I am going to go ahead and remove the two aux fuel pods, fuel line, electric fuel pump, etc. to trim the weight back as much as possible.  Perhaps I will get a larger seat tank should I decide to go on longer flights later next year, depending on how well it climbs with just 5 gallons.  There are 7.5, 10 and 14 gallon versions available.

No comments:

Post a Comment