Monday, October 12, 2015

Air Command Weekend work

On Saturday, I finished the new nose gear assembly.

Today, I drilled and mounted the new Cheek Plates and Rotor Head.  Unfortunately, Gary's axiom that when you change one thing it affects 20 others is true.  Moving the rotor head forward causes the pre-rotator to hit the mast and hopefully with Jon's help, we can create a new mounting bracket for the pre-rotator and  move it to the side of the ring away from the mast.


I also mounted the instrument pod again and connected the control rods from the rotor head back to the scissor assembly.

Finally, I moved the main landing gear assembly 4.5 inches forward.  The nose weighed 85 lbs with me in the seat prior to the move, now it weighs 40 lbs, which will allow the nose to come up easier to balance on the mains while spinning the rotors up to  flying speed. I may stick to my previous method of not painting new aluminum parts and leave the new rear struts like they are pictured here.

The previous builder installed the extra tube below the keel and I may remove it as part of the weight reduction plan suggested by Scott Essex.

No comments:

Post a Comment