Friday, October 16, 2015

More Changes to the Gyro




When I  changed the axle location, the rear struts were too long and caused each wheel to be toed in considerably, so I had to shorten them only a 1/2 inch.  I also moved the main axle from the lower tube that a previous owner had installed back to the keel.  This move put the gyro back to the original factory design.

In the first Photo above you can see the extra tube that I removed.  Not only was it made of steel and very heavy, it was also full of grass, gravel and dirt adding extra weight to the gyro.

The bottom photo shows the new axle alignment.  Please note that now it correctly angles down to the wheels as designed.

To trim additional weight, I also removed the fuel gauge sender and fuel gauge since the sender was malfunctioning any way.  This will require me to keep each flight limited by time in order to maintain a reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment