Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Peach State Rotorcraft Club

This summer my job moved us to Georgia and I joined the Peach State Rotorcraft Club.  These guys are amazing, providing a great place to learn, build and fly gyros.

Here is a re-post from their forum for my gyro rebuild that I wrote on August 8th: 

With help from Gary and Kevin, the new cyclic control rods have been connected. However, there is little less stick movement to the right. It could be the slightly bent temporary cheek plates or a need for a minor adjustment in the rod length and or scissors.

Kurt gave me the idea to move the throttle forward, so yesterday I made an extension. It keeps my arm off the exhaust.

It has an electric fuel pump for transferring from the two saddle tanks to the seat tank. While replacing lines and the primer, I moved the line from the fuel pump line from the top of seat near the exhaust expansion chamber down under the seat.
I repaired the top of the rudder this weekend too.

The last thing I did this weekend was crank up the engine and taxi around the airport. Everything works! However, the brakes will not hold it still past half throttle. 

Posted on 9 Sep 2015:

I want to thank everyone for helping get the following accomplished!
Hang test 2.5 degrees forward
Weight 320 lbs with 3 gallons, blades will add another 50 lbs
Prop pitch is 15 degrees, Static RPM 5950, 270 LBS Thrust
Lewis and I fixed control yoke issue.
Jon is making the cheek plates.
I put the old front fork back on temporarily so my gyro can be moved while I'm gone for the next month. Inserting the round tube into the square for the new forks, even after grinding and sanding didn't go so well today. Danita and I got each piece about half way in and it just stopped. I will likely have to start over when I return in October and shave more off the round tube in order to get it all the way in. We tried heating the square tube with a heat gun and cooling the round with liquid air, nothing helps.

Once the cheek plates and new forks/front wheel are finished, the next task will be stringing and installing the blades. Then it will be ready for a test flight.


Posted 3 Oct 2015:

Today at Jon's recommendation, I used a belt sander to get the round tube to fit into the square tube for the new nose forks. I'm planning to go out to the hanger this week and put them on.

I found the bearings I need at a bike shop for the new front wheel. It requires a 10 MM axle or a coke can shim for AN 6 bolt currently being used. 

The next project will be drilling the new cheek plates. Then I will need to finish the upgrade for the pod mount. 

Hopefully, it will fly without modifying the main axle or removing the auxiliary fuel tanks, ect. to save weight.

Today's Post:

After further research and based on Bensen's minimum weight to thrust requirement of 2:1, 270 lbs. is not enough for my gross weight of 670 to 700 pounds.  I am spending $600 on the gear box to change it from 3.11 to 2.55, but, after talking to other MZ 202 owners. However, it will only get me to around 320 lbs. of thrust and I will have to reduce both the weight of the gyro and myself.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment